Egg Muffins Ingredients
Your choice of fillings:
– Leftover meat, chicken, fish
– Leftover vegetables
– Raw vegetables
– Dried or fresh herbs
– Grated raw cheese
Egg muffins never get boring. Since the ingredients are determined by what leftovers you have in your fridge, they can be different every time you make them. It is fun discovering new combinations of ingredients that taste amazing in your egg muffins, and you can use almost ANY leftover foods in them.
– Leftover cooked bacon, steak, chicken, salmon, sausage, mince (ground meat), lamb, pork
– Leftover cooked broccoli, pumpkin, sweet potato, green beans, eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, onions, leek
– Leftover casseroles, stews, curries and other one-pot meals like chili
– Raw tomato, capsicum (bell pepper), chili, black olives, green onions
– Fresh/dried basil, oregano, coriander (cilantro)
Thank you to Mark Sisson for putting this recipe idea in his book Primal Blueprint Cookbook. We have been eating them regularly for years, and recommending them to clients and friends, who find them the ultimate quick healthy meal, picnic food or snack on-the-go.
– Busy people: plan ahead! Make these at night to have ready for quick or on-the-go breakfasts, packed lunches or snacks all week.
– Cook egg muffins in double batches and freeze them. If you pack them frozen in your lunch bag in the morning, they will be defrosted and delicious by lunch time.
– Egg muffins are perfect for picnics and school lunches instead of a sandwich – no fork needed!
– You can use a mini-muffin tin to make tiny egg muffins for appetizers, picnic snacks, and tiny kid hands.
– Always use the best quality eggs you can find, from healthy, pastured chickens. They are worth the money!
Egg Muffins Recipe
Step 1: Preheat oven to 180C / 350F.
Step 2: Beat eggs lightly with a fork, in a medium/large bowl.
Step 3: Dice meat and veggie leftovers and/or raw vegetables. Chop any fresh herbs. Grate raw cheese.
Step 4: Add all ingredients to the eggs and mix together. Salt and pepper to taste.
Step 5: Grease a muffin tin with butter.
Step 6: Ladle egg mixture into egg muffins.
Step 7: Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
Step 8: Let cool before removing from muffin tin. Eat immediately, save for breakfast, pack for lunch, or freeze for later!
Share your favourite egg muffin ingredients in the comments below!
Others also viewed: