– White fish fillets
– Sweet potatoes
– 1-2 Eggs
– Shredded Coconut
Optional: – Paprika, turmeric, sea salt
– Broccoli, mushrooms or salad greens
A modern-day order of fish and chips is usually a killer meal containing processed flours and harmful vegetable oils. You can always order grilled fish, but the chips or fries will still be fried in over-processed, rancid oils, which is enough reason to steer clear. This version, however, gives you all the nutrition and tastiness of fish and chips, with none of the nasties. You get a nice piece of fish with a light healthy crust, and homemade chips baked in the oven. Make this meal for your kids – they will love it!
– I used sweet potato instead of white potato because we prefer the taste (I think that’s why people need ketchup for white potato fries). Many people also prefer sweet potatoes because of their lower glycemic index (slower release of sugars in your body) which keeps blood sugar levels stable in the body and keep you satisfied for longer. Others avoid white potatoes as they are sensitive or intolerant to plants from the nightshade plant family. However, if you do well on either, feel free to substitute white potatoes in this recipe!
– Be sure to buy minimally processed, unsweetened shredded coconut. I mixed in a few spices with the coconut to add to the flavour of the fish crust, but the coconut has a wonderful flavour on its own if you choose not to use any extra spices.
– For the healthiest, most primal fish, always buy wild caught, never farmed. If you can’t find wild fish fillets at a reasonable price, buy a whole fish and ask the fishmonger (the fish butcher) to fillet it for you. You can even save the carcass for fish stock! There is usually no extra cost for this service, and the whole fish are significantly cheaper.
– The broccoli and mushrooms are merely side suggestions that are easy to cook up at the same time your fish and chips are cooking. You can check the veggie cheat sheet for more ideas, or a green salad is also a perfect side. Or just have the fish and chips on their own!
Primal Fish and Chips Recipe
Step 1: Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Cut the ends off the sweet potatoes and slice into long even rectangles like steak fries.
Step 2: Arrange sweet potato chips in a single layer on a baking tray. Spray or toss with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Put in oven and set timer for 20 minutes.
Step 3: Chop the broccoli or other vegetable sides and put in water-filled steamer or pot and/or under the grill. Don’t turn the heat on yet.
Step 4: Beat eggs in a small bowl. Sprinkle plenty of shredded coconut onto a plate and mix in any desired spices. Try 1/4 tsp each of paprika and turmeric, plus a sprinkle of sea salt.
Step 5: Put a couple tablespoons of coconut oil and/or butter into a fry pan on med-high heat.
Step 6: Turn the heat on to steam/grill your side veggies so they will cook while the fish is frying.
Step 7: When pan is hot, dip each fish fillet into the egg, then into the coconut, then lay in the pan. Ensure both sides of the fish get coated in the coconut before putting in the pan.
Step 8: After a few minutes frying, flip the fish with a spatula and fry the other side.
Step 9: Let fish cook a few more minutes. The veggies and chips should be ready about the same time. Enjoy!
How did your fish and chips turn out? Share any adaptations you recommend for this recipe.
Others also viewed: