04 Jun Quinoa Pancakes Recipe
Quinoa Pancakes Ingredients
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup soaked chia seeds
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp cinnamon
Optional: berries, apple
We are not big pancake eaters, as few recipes call for all whole foods, and it seems a lot of trouble for not much flavour. However, this is our absolute favourite pancake recipe, given to us by Pippa, a Thermomix representative. The flavour is so good, that we never even think to cover the pancakes with maple syrup or honey. They are good enough without any topping, so would also make a great on-the-go meal or snack!
– All ingredients organic where possible.
– For optimal digestion and nutrition, it is best to soak quinoa all day or overnight before cooking.
– The quinoa can be cooked the day before making pancakes. Great way to love your leftovers!
– To soak chia seeds, put 1/3 cup chia seeds in 2 cups filtered water. It will gel up in 10 minutes, but become even more nutritious and digestible in a couple hours. Make the mixture and keep it in your fridge for using in smoothies, pancakes or by the tablespoonful! It will last a long time.
– This recipe turns out good whether you use a blender to really mix up the ingredients, or simply mash the banana and mix everything well in a bowl with a spoon. I like to throw everything in a bowl and use a hand blender to get a smooth consistency.
Quinoa Pancakes Recipe
Step 1: Throw everything except the optional ingredients into a bowl or blender.
Step 2: Mix well.
Step 3: Stir in optional ingredients such as blueberries, apples, or any other fruit chunks. Or drop the fruit chunks onto the pancake after it is poured into the pan.
Step 4: Heat coconut oil, olive oil and/or butter in a pan on medium heat. Spoon or pour pancake batter into pan to desired pancake size.
Step 5: Flip pancake after a few minutes, when pancake bottom is firm enough to get a spatula under.
Step 6: Cook for another minute or two.
Step 7: Keep warm while you make the rest of the pancakes. Or eat them cold as on-the-go snacks!
Quinoa Pancakes Recipe – June 2013